Jump to content

Financial Aid

Financial Aid Office
1100 Dutton Hall
530-752-2390; 530-754-6073 (Hearing Impaired)

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office provides financial assistance in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study employment. To apply, undergraduates and graduate students are required to annually file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at http://www.fafsa.gov or the California Dream Act Application at http://dream.csac.ca.gov.

The priority-filing deadline is March 2 each year; however, students are encouraged to apply even if the deadline has passed. Although state and university funding may be depleted, Federal Pell Grants and Direct Loans are available throughout the year for eligible applicants.

UC Education Finance Policy for Undergraduates

UC Davis uses the University of California Education Financing Model to determine financial aid awards for undergraduates. The policy looks at four factors to choose the type and amount of aid for each student:

  • Cost of Attendance
  • Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the information on your application
  • Federal, State, and University grant eligibility
  • Undergraduate Self-Help and Loan Contribution, which is the amount that undergraduates are expected to contribute toward their cost of education at UC Davis

The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office can assist students with dependents or child care costs that exceed the standard student budgets.

Undergraduates with outstanding academic records are encouraged to apply for scholarships. For information about scholarship application process, see Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards.

Graduate Student Funding

Graduate students and students in the professional schools at UC Davis (Medicine, Law, Veterinary Medicine and the School of Management) apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov or the California Dream Act Application at http://dream.csac.ca.gov. Financial need is based on the information provided on your application. FAFSA applicants will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) with the Student Contribution (SC) assigned by the federal processor, while Dream Act applicants will receive their SC from CSAC. The SC is subtracted from the UC Davis Cost of Attendance (for the student's graduate program) to determine need-based eligibility. Graduate scholarships, fellowships and teaching and research assistantships are administered through the Office of Graduate Studies.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require that undergraduate and graduate student financial aid recipients meet the published Standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid concerning units and maximum quarters of attendance allowed to obtain a degree. A copy of our SAP standards is available at http://financialaid.ucdavis.edu/consumer/sap/standards.html. Review the policy in detail and discuss it with your academic adviser.

For more information, contact your respective Financial Aid Office at http://financialaid.ucdavis.edu/contact.html. Regulations and deadlines are subject to change.

Types of Financial Aid


A grant is an award that does not have to be repaid as long as the student remains eligible. Whenever criteria and funding levels permit, a student’s financial aid award includes grants.

Federal Pell Grants . All undergraduate financial aid applicants are required to apply for a Federal Pell Grant each year by filing the FAFSA. Recipients must be enrolled at full time to receive the full amount of awarded Pell Grant and must maintain good academic standing and make satisfactory academic progress. Eligibility is determined by the federal government according to a formula developed by the Department of Education and approved annually by Congress. The UC Davis electronic financial aid notice (MyAwards) informs the student of the Pell Grant award amount.

Cal Grants. All undergraduate financial aid applicants who are California residents are encouraged to apply for a Cal Grant by submitting the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application and a GPA Verification form before March 2. Cal Grants are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and may be renewed each year for four years, see http://www.csac.ca.gov.

  • Cal Grant A Awards are based on financial need and academic achievement and can be extended for one year for students entering a teaching credential program. Cal Grant A pays partial registration fees.
  • Cal Grant B Awards are based on financial need and are for undergraduate students primarily from low-income backgrounds. Recipients are required to complete at least 12 units each quarter. Cal Grant B pays a quarterly stipend for living expenses for first-year students and a portion of the registration fees plus a quarterly stipend for living expenses for students in their second through fourth years.

    Cal Grant A and B recipients who plan to enroll in a Teaching Credential Program (TCP) may be eligible to renew their Cal Grant award for an additional year. The additional year of payment is provided to students who are seeking an initial teaching credential and cannot be used for other graduate level courses of study.

University Grants (UC Grant). The university determines grant eligibility for undergraduates by subtracting a student and parent contribution, any federal or state resources the student receives, and a standard work and loan contribution from the cost of attendance. Any remaining eligibility would be funded with UC Grant. UC Grant funding for graduate students is awarded by the Office of Graduate Studies. Students in the professional schools and the School of Education are awarded grant by their academic departments.


Financial aid almost always includes a long-term loan. Awards are dependent on available funding. Some loan fund sources do not receive allocations each year. Repayment of these loans (with the exception of Federal Direct PLUS loans) begins after graduation or withdrawal from school. Students are encouraged to work as much as possible (while remaining full-time students) and to develop modest personal budgets to keep final loan indebtedness within a manageable range.

Health Profession Student Loans (HPSL) are awarded to students in the School of Veterinary Medicine who demonstrate financial need. Parental income information is required for HPSL applicants regardless of age and dependency status.

  • $2,500 plus fees maximum
  • 5% interest
  • Repayment begins twelve months after receipt of the degree or withdrawal

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans (Direct Loans) are available through the Financial Aid Office. Subsidized loans are based on financial need and interest accrued while the student is in school is paid by the federal government. Unsubsidized loans are available to students regardless of income and assets, and there is no interest subsidy.

  • Undergraduates may borrow up to annual maximums of $3,500 subsidized plus $2,000 unsubsidized = $3,500 for freshmen, $4,500 subsidized plus $2,000 unsubsidized = $6,500 for sophomore, and $5,500 subsidized plus $2,000 unsubsidized = $7,500 for juniors and seniors, up to a maximum aggregate indebtedness of $23,000 for subsidized loan and $31,000 in combined subsidized and unsubsidized loan
  • Independent undergraduates may borrow unsubsidized Direct Loans up to annual maximums of $9,500 for freshmen, $10,500 sophomores, and $12,500 for juniors and seniors, up to a maximum aggregate amount of $57,500, of which $23,000 can consist of subsidized loans
  • Graduate and professional students may borrow unsubsidized Direct Loans up to an annual maximum of $20,500. Health professions students may borrow higher amounts dependent on the length of their academic year
  • For the most current interest rates on Direct Loans, see https://studentloans.gov
  • A minimal loan fee is charged on all Direct Loans, which varies by loan type. The fee is deducted proportionately from each disbursement
  • For Direct Loans, repayment begins six months after graduation or withdrawal from school

Federal Direct Parent Loans for Students (Direct PLUS) are government-insured loans that are made to parents of dependent students.

  • Direct PLUS loans are available up to the cost of education minus other financial aid received during the years if the dependent student is an undergraduate
  • There is no interest subsidy for this loan
  • A loan fee is charged and deducted proportionately from each disbursement
  • For the most current interest rate and loan fee information, see https://studentloans.gov
  • Repayment begins within 60 days after loan disbursement

Direct Grad PLUS Loans. The Grad PLUS Loan is provided by the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program.

  • Credit checks are required to be eligible for the Grad PLUS. Students who do not meet the credit requirements for a Grad PLUS may still obtain the loan with an endorser who does meet the credit requirements
  • An origination fee is deducted from the loan amount
  • For the most current interest rate and loan fee information, see https://studentloans.gov
  • Repayment period begins 60 days after loan disbursement

Federal Perkins Loans are for U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents. Loans may be limited to a percentage of student's need because of demand and limited funds. This is a subsidized loan, which means the federal government pays the interest on the loan while the student is enrolled in school. Repayment starts nine months after graduation or withdrawal from school and may be extended over 10 years. Additional deferments are possible for temporary total disability or volunteer service in a private, non-profit organization, VISTA or the Peace Corps. Some teachers of students from low-income families and full-time teachers of handicapped children may also qualify for partial loan cancellation.

Annual Federal Perkins Loan Limits
  • $4,000 for undergraduate students
  • $6,000 for graduate/professional students
Aggregate (Maximum) Loan Limits
  • $8,000 for a student who has not completed the first two years of undergraduate work and for programs that are less than two years in length
  • $20,000 for a student who has successfully completed two years of a program of education leading to a bachelor's degree but who has not completed degree work
  • $40,000 for a graduate/professional student (includes loans borrowed at the undergraduate level)

UC Davis offers many affordable university loan programs to its students. While a majority of campus-based loans have a need component as demonstrated by the FAFSA or Dream Act application, most students can apply for other loan opportunities such as the emergency, short-term and assistant loan program

Emergency, Short-Term and Assistant Loans meet temporary or emergency financial needs of currently enrolled students. Please visit the financial aid website for requirements, instructions and the online application. Loan funds are provided by UC Davis alumni, ASUCD, the Cal Aggie Foundation, the Regents of the University of California and private donors.

  • Emergency Loans. $500 maximum. The maximum repayment period is 30 days
  • Short-Term or Assistant Loans. $501 or higher. Assistant Loans are available to graduate students who are in the teaching assistant, research assistant, readership, associate-instructor or postgraduate researcher classifications can apply for a maximum of one month's salary. The maximum repayment period for both loan types is six months or the end of the academic year, whichever occurs first
For applications and more information about applying, see http://financialaid.ucdavis.edu.


1100 Dutton Hall
530-752-0520; sec@ucdavis.edu

Undergraduate Work-Study

Work-Study allows students to earn part of their financial aid through part-time employment. Federal Work-Study is available for students eligible to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Form (FAFSA), and the FAFSA must be completed by March 2 annually to be considered. Institutional Work-Study is available to international and AB 540 students who are eligible to work and is also based on need. For AB 540 students that are also undocumented, need is determined by the California Dream Act Application, which must be completed by March 2 annually to be considered. Dream Act applicants must also meet Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) requirements to be eligible. International and other AB 540 students must complete a separate application to be considered for Institutional Work-Study. Please see our office for details. Work-Study awards offer both money for education and work experience.

Community Service. A wide variety of community service jobs are available for students who apply for Work-Study funding. These jobs provide educational and rewarding work experience and help students connect with the community at large. Students applying for community service jobs also receive priority consideration for Work-Study funding.

Work-Study for Graduate Students

Work-Study funds for graduate students are allocated directly to the chairpersons of the graduate programs. Graduate students seeking Work-Study funding should contact their respective departments for further information. Students must file a FAFSA or California Dream Act application and have financial need to be considered for Work-Study funding.

Page content manager can be reached at Catalog-Comment@ucdavis.edu.

Updated: November 21, 2017 12:17 PM