Jump to content

Admission as a Transfer Student

The University of California defines a transfer applicant as a student who has been a registered student in a regular term at a college, university or in college-level extension classes since graduating from high school. Summer session attended immediately following high school graduation is excluded in this determination. If you are a transfer applicant, you may not disregard any of your college records and apply for admission as a freshman.

UC Davis gives highest priority to junior-level transfer applicants from California community colleges. To apply to majors in the Colleges of Biological Sciences, Engineering and Letters and Science, students must be junior-level applicants with a minimum of 90 quarter (60 semester) units of UC-transferable coursework, including courses in progress or planned. In the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, junior-level applicants will be given highest priority, but lower-division applicants may be considered if space allows.

Meeting the transfer admission requirements for UC does not guarantee admission to UC Davis. Due to limited enrollment space, transfer applicants who are admitted generally well exceed UC admission criteria. Foremost is the applicant's academic performance and preparation for the selected college and major. To be competitive, you must maintain a GPA of 2.800 or higher. In some cases, personal characteristics, experiences and circumstances will also be considered.

Applications far exceed the number of spaces available in majors such as biotechnology, communication, international relations, psychology, viticulture and enology and all majors in the Colleges of Biological Sciences and Engineering. Applicants must complete specific lower-division major preparation courses with a specific GPA in the major and an overall required GPA.

To view our selective majors and their specific requirements for admission, see http://admissions.ucdavis.edu/admission/transfers/tr_selection_process.cfm.

UC Transfer Admission Requirements for California Residents

To be eligible for admission to UC as a junior transfer student, you must fulfill both of the following criteria:

  1. Complete 90 quarter (60 semester) units of UC-transferable credit with a minimum 2.400* GPA. No more than 21 quarter (14 semester) units may be taken Pass/No Pass.
  2. Complete the following seven UC-transferable college courses, earning a grade of C or better in each course:
  3. Two courses in English composition;
  4. One course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning;
  5. Four courses chosen from at least two of these subject areas: arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences, and physical and biological sciences.

Each course must be worth at least 4-5 quarter (3 semester) units. Completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) before transferring to UC may satisfy the required seven-course pattern for UC admission, depending on the courses you take. For more information, see http://www.assist.org.

Alternatives for Satisfying UC Transfer Admission Requirements

If you were eligible for admission to UC when you graduated from high school--meaning you satisfied the subject, scholarship and examination requirement--or were identified by UC during the senior year as Eligible in the Local Context (ELC) and completed the Subject and Examination Requirements by your senior year, you are eligible to transfer with a minimum C (2.000)* average in your UC-transferable college coursework.

If you met the Scholarship Requirement in high school, but did not satisfy the 15-course Subject Requirement, you must take UC-transferable college courses in the missing subjects, earn a C or better in each required course and maintain a 2.000 GPA to be eligible to transfer.

UC Transfer Admission Requirements for Nonresidents

The UC transfer admission requirements for nonresident transfer applicants are very similar to those for California residents. Nonresidents must have a GPA of 2.800* or higher in all UC-transferable college coursework.

*Please note that meeting UC admission requirements does not guarantee admission to UC Davis. To be a competitive candidate for admission, you must have an overall GPA of 2.800 or higher.

Transfer Credit

Coursework from other colleges and universities is considered UC-transferable if the applicant completed the course at an institution that is recognized by the University of California. In addition, the coursework must be comparable to courses and levels offered within the University of California.

A total of 105 quarter (70 semester) UC-transferable units toward a university degree may be earned at a community (two-year) college. You can find information about transferable credit from
California community colleges at http://www.assist.org. Only subject credit will be granted for courses taken in excess of this amount.

If you have completed 120 quarter (80 semester) units or more of UC-transferable four-year college units or a combination of community college and four-year college units, your admission is subject to approval by the respective dean for majors in the Colleges of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences and College of Letters and Science.

Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations

Transfer credit is granted for each College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examination completed with an official score of 3, 4 or 5. To learn more, see Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations, and see College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examination Credit.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations

UC Davis recognizes the International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations for college credit. Higher Level examinations presented with official scores of 5, 6 or 7 receive 8 quarter (5.3 semester) units of degree credit and in specific instances are deemed comparable to various lower-division courses. Students completing the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma with a score of 30 or above will receive a maximum of 30 quarter (20 semester) units. The credit will apply toward the minimum 180 quarter units needed to receive a bachelor's degree. To learn more, see International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations. and International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination Credit.

Limited Status

Students in limited status are those whose special achievements qualify them to take certain university courses toward a definite and limited objective.

Currently the Colleges of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences, Engineering and Letters and Science do not consider limited status applicants. As an alternative, you may wish to consider enrolling in our UC Davis Extension Open Campus program.

Second Baccalaureate

Applicants who have a bachelor's degree substantially equivalent to one granted by the University of California, are considered as an undergraduate seeking a second bachelor's degree. Admission under this status will require a superior academic record and clear evidence of a change in objective. The College of Engineering will consider applicants if their first degree is not in engineering and if they complete the lower-division engineering program at a California community college. Admission to the College of
Engineering requires approval of the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Undergraduate Admissions and dean of the college. You must submit the online UC undergraduate application for admission and scholarships during the appropriate UC filing dates. The Colleges of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences and Letters and Science do not consider second baccalaureate applicants.

UC Intercampus Transfer

If you are an undergraduate student currently or previously registered at another UC campus and have not since been registered in a non-UC institution, you may apply for transfer to the UC Davis campus. Filing dates, the application, fees and admission and selection requirements are the same as those listed for new transfer applicants. For current UC students who wish to attend UC Davis as an intercampus visitor and plan to return to their home UC campus, see the Intercampus Visitor Program.

Page content manager can be reached at Catalog-Comment@ucdavis.edu.

Updated: January 29, 2013 3:25 PM