Jump to content

Student Conduct and Grievences

Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs
3200 Dutton Hall
530-752-1128; http://sja.ucdavis.edu

The Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs (OSSJA) upholds campus standards of academic honesty and student conduct by resolving alleged violations of university policies or campus regulations. OSSJA provides information about campus grievance procedures, provides interpretations of university policy and regulations and assists with conflict resolution and general problem solving. OSSJA also helps co-ordinate the university's response to distressed or distressing students.

Misconduct and Discipline

Students enrolling or seeking enrollment in the university have an obligation to act honestly, ethically and responsibly. As members of our academic community and of society at large, students have both rights and responsibilities and are expected to comply with the general law, University policies and campus regulations. Standards for student conduct include but are not limited to the University of California Policies Applying to Campus Activities, Organizations and Students and the UC Davis Code of Academic Conduct. The UC Davis Administration of Student Discipline explains the student conduct process for reported violations of University policies. These policies may be found on the OSSJA website. In summary, students may be subject to discipline for the following behaviors: academic dishonesty or misconduct; disruption or obstruction of University activities; providing false information, forgery, theft, misuse of any University property, documents or resources; physical assault; threats of violence or conduct that threatens health and safety or is intended to terrorize others; possession of weapons; sexual violence and sexual harassment, including sexual assault, stalking, and dating/domestic violence; possession, use, distribution or sale of drugs or alcohol that is illegal or against University policy; hazing; preparing, selling, or distributing course materials or notes for commercial purposes without the consent of the course instructor; or recording, photographing, or viewing a person in a private location without express consent.

If admitted or found in violation, disciplinary sanctions may range from censure to probation, suspension or dismissal from the university. Additional requirements may include but are not limited to community service, educational programs, or restitution. Suspected violations of campus or university standards by students should be reported to OSSJA. Online reports can be submitted on the OSSJA website.

Student Responsibilities

Students are responsible for complying with the announcements and regulations printed in this catalog and with all policies, rules and regulations of the university and this campus. Students will not be able to register or receive transcripts of record or diplomas until they have met all university obligations.


If students believe that they have been subject to prohibited discrimination or harassment, they may contact OSSJA at 530-752-1128 or the Campus Chief Compliance Officer at 530-752-9466, for information and assistance. It is important to seek assistance as soon as possible, as time limits may apply to some grievance processes. Advice is also available from the Harassment and Discrimination Assistance and Prevention Program. Individuals may use an Anonymous Call Line at 530-752-2255 or the HDAPP Office at 530-752-9255.

Resolving Academic Problems

Grade Changes

Students who believe they received an incorrect grade due to a clerical or procedural error should ask their instructor to file a Request for Grade Change form with the Office of the University Registrar; see Retroactive Grade Changes. If the instructor does not agree, the student should discuss the matter with the chair of the department. If at that point the matter is still unresolved, the student may file a file a grade grievance with the a Grade Change Deputy to the Academic Senate Committee in the Office of the University Registrar in 3100 Dutton Hall. Requests must be made by the end of the following quarter.

The Academic Senate Committee on Grade Changes reviews requests for grade changes and, like the instructor, has no authority to reevaluate student work but can change the grade if it finds a documented clerical or procedural error. In the case of a challenged grade, the student will be expected to bear the burden of proving that a clerical or procedural error occurred and caused the incorrect grade to be assigned. If a student believes that the grading error was the result of prohibited discrimination or arbitrary treatment, the student may file a complaint with the Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs (OSSJA) in 3200 Dutton Hall. For more information, contact OSSJA at 530-752-1128 or sja@ucdavis.edu.

For more details, see the http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/records/grades/changes.cfm. See guidelines for the Committee on Grade Changes at http://academicsenate.ucdavis.edu/GCC. Questions regarding this process should be directed to the Deputy to the Committee on Grade Changes at GradeChanges@ucdavis.edu.

Other Academic Problems

If you need a requirement waived or any other type of variance, contact your faculty adviser or the appropriate dean's office or the Biology Academic Success Center for information on your college's procedures. If you cannot get satisfaction through normal channels, contact the ASUCD Student Advocacy Grievance Center or the Committee on Student-Faculty Relationships; see See ASUCD Student Advocacy Grievance Center., below.

ASUCD Student Advocacy Grievance Center

349 Memorial Union

The ASUCD Student Advocacy Grievance Center advocates students’ academic and nonacademic concerns to the faculty and administration. Grievance counselors assist students one-on-one, directing them to appropriate channels through which to state their academic grievances (e.g., student-faculty relations, sexual harassment, grade change problems, pre-judicial treatment in the classroom and problems with academic procedure and policy) and nonacademic grievances (e.g., campus facilities, campus safety, ASUCD and any other nonacademic concerns). All information discussed between counselors and students is completely confidential. Students can get counseling, referrals and support to aid in the resolution of these matters.

Page content manager can be reached at Catalog-Comment@ucdavis.edu.

Updated: November 21, 2017 12:17 PM