Jump to content

Undergraduate Courses

Lower Division Courses

These courses, numbered 1–99, are open to all students for lower division credit, but are designed primarily for freshmen and sophomores.

Upper Division Courses

These courses, numbered 100–199, are open to all students who have met the necessary prerequisites as indicated in the General Catalog course description. Preparation should generally include completion of one lower division course in the given subject or completion of two years of college work.

Variable-Unit Courses

Subject to approval by the department chair, an instructor may arrange to give a special study course (numbers 90X, 92, 97T, 97TC, 98, 99, 190X, 192, 194H, 197T, 197TC, 198, 199) to interested students. These courses may be offered any fall, winter, or spring quarter as determined by the department.

90X/190X (Seminar) are seminar courses for in-depth examination of a special topic within the subject area.

92/192 (Internship) courses enable individual students to obtain practical experience to complement their educational goals or to explore potential career interests and opportunities. Students must have completed 84 units before enrolling in course 192.

97T/197T (Tutoring) and 97TC/197TC (Tutoring in the Community) are courses for students who want to tutor in a subject in which they are proficient—generally in their major field—while enrolled as an undergraduate.

98/198 (Directed Group Study) courses are set up on a one-time basis for a group of students in a subject for which no regular courses have been established.

99 (Special Study for Undergraduates) is a course arranged for an individual student who shares, with an instructor, an academic interest that cannot be accommodated within the formal course structure.

194H (Special Study for Honors Students) courses are for individual students with honor status, as determined by the department offering the course and who have completed 84 units.

199 (Special Study for Advanced Undergraduates) courses are the upper division counterparts of course 99 and involve supervised independent study and research requiring adequate background in the subject proposed for study as well as prior completion of 84 units.

Credit in courses 99, 194H and 199 is limited to a total of 5 units per term.

Autotutorial Courses are courses in which students instruct themselves at their own pace. These courses can be identified by the letters AT at the end of their course numbers, e.g., 13AT, 141AT.

Online & Hybrid Courses are courses in which instruction is delivered on the Internet. Courses that are delivered: Completely online can be identified by the letter V at the end of their course numbers, e.g., 10V, 162V. As a combination on online and classroom can be identified by the letter Y at the end of their course numbers, e.g., 10Y, 162Y.

Research Conference Courses are courses in which advanced undergraduate students may participate in critical discussions of staff research activities. These one-unit courses are numbered 190C and are graded on a Passed/Not Passed basis.

Graduate Courses

Courses numbered 200–299 are open to graduate students and to undergraduates who have completed 18 units of upper division work basic to the subject matter of the course. However, admission is subject to the approval of the instructor in charge of the course. Grading in 290C courses and most variable-unit 299 or 299D courses is Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory. Check the course description for grading information.

Professional Courses for Teachers and Nurse Practitioners

Courses numbered 300–399 are teacher-training courses in the School of Education and in other departments and are especially intended for teachers or prospective teachers. Courses designed to provide instruction to teaching assistants are included. Courses for certification of family nurse practitioners and physician assistants are also included. These courses are open only to students enrolled in those programs.

Other Professional Courses

Courses numbered 400–499 are professional training courses. Graduate students should consult their faculty adviser or contact the Graduate Studies Office before registering in 400 series courses to determine if graduate credit may be awarded for the course in question.


Prerequisites for courses should be noted carefully; the responsibility for meeting these requirements rests on the student. If you can demonstrate that your preparation is equivalent to that specified by the prerequisites, the instructor may waive these requirements for you. However, the prerequisite that requires that you complete 84 units before registering in the course may not be waived. The instructor in charge of a course may request that the Registrar drop from the course any student who has enrolled without completing the published prerequisites if, in the judgment of the instructor, failure to have completed that work seriously reduces the probability that the student will successfully complete the course. An instructor who intends to exclude a student for this reason must notify the student before taking action.

Course Descriptions

The course offerings and instructors listed in this catalog are subject to change without notice. For the most current offerings and instructors, refer to the General Catalog Supplement.

Below is a sample of how a course is listed in this catalog.

190. Proseminar in Nutrition (1)
Seminar—1 hour. Prerequisite: senior standing; course 111. Discussion of human nutrition problems. Each term will involve a different emphasis among experimental, clinical, and dietetic problems of community, national and international scope. May be repeated twice for credit with consent of instructor.—F, W, S. (F, W, S.) Zidenberg-Cherr

Top line is course number; title; units.

Paragraph following is course instructional format; prerequisite; course description; grading, if other than letter grading; GE attributes, if any; quarter offered 2016–17; quarter offered 2017–18 (in parentheses); instructor (if specified).

Quarters offered is the quarter in which a course is intended to be given is shown as follows:

  • F. Fall Quarter (September to December) or Fall Semester (August to December), School of Law
  • W. Winter Quarter (January to March) or Spring Semester (January to May), School of Law
  • S. Spring Quarter (April to June)
  • Su. Summer Quarter (July to September)

The quarter a course is offered is subject to change. For more information, consult the department.

Alternate Year Designation

Some course descriptions will include the phrase "Offered in alternate years." If the course will be offered in the 2016–17 academic year, the quarter designation immediately follows the description. If the course will be offered in the 2017–18 academic year, the quarter designation is inside parentheses.

Multi-Quarter Courses

A series of course numbers followed by two or three letters (for example, Physics 110A-110B-110C) is continued through three successive quarters, ordinarily from September to June. The first quarter course listed this way is a prerequisite to the second and the second is prerequisite to the third. On the other hand, where A and B portions of a course are listed separately (for example, Economics 160A and 160B), the A course is not a prerequisite to B, unless it is specifically mentioned in the list of prerequisites.

Expanded Course Descriptions

Because of space limitations, you may find that the descriptions in the General Catalog do not include all the information you would like about a course. The faculty has responded to this need by writing the "Expanded Course Descriptions," giving more detailed explanations about each course offering. These descriptions are available each quarter to assist students in selecting their courses. They contain such information as texts used, preparation required of students, basis for grading, course format, special assignments (papers, field trips, etc.) and a topical outline of the material to be covered. .

Copies of the "Expanded Course Descriptions" are available for on-campus use at the College dean's offices or the Biology Academic Success Center, advisers' offices, advising centers, and departmental offices.

Page content manager can be reached at Catalog-Comment@ucdavis.edu.

Updated: November 21, 2017 12:17 PM