Jump to content

Health and Counseling Services

Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS)

Services are provided at two primary locations: Student Health and Wellness Center and 219 North Hall.
Make an appointment: 530-752-2349
General information: 530-752-2300

What medical services are available on campus if I get sick or injured?

Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) provides wellness resources and cost-sensitive medical care that is tailored to the unique and diverse needs of students at UC Davis. All registered students are assigned a primary care provider (PCP) who will coordinate their wellness care and treatment needs. SHCS staff include physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, physical therapists, dietitians and health educators. Pharmacy, lab, and x-ray services are also available. Medical care is provided at the Student Health and Wellness Center, conveniently located on the west side of campus. Services are available to all registered students regardless of insurance coverage. When the Student Health and Wellness Center is closed, students can speak with an after-hours advice nurse at 530-752-2349.

What mental health services are available for students?

SHCS offers a variety of resources to help students reach academic and personal goals while at UC Davis. SHCS mental health providers are a multicultural and educationally diverse group of experienced mental health professionals, doctoral interns and postdoctoral residents. They provide short-term counseling at no cost to registered UC Davis students. Counseling Services, including initial consultations, individual and group therapy, and workshops are provided in both 219 North Hall and the Student Health and Wellness Center. When Counseling Services is closed, students may call 530-752-2349 and follow the prompts to speak with a mental health help-line provider.

What if I have a hold on my registration because I have to submit my immunization status for Hepatitis B?

The state requires that all first-time enrollees age 18 or younger provide a statement of immunization status for the Hepatitis B virus. Students who have not completed this requirement may have a hold placed on their registration, which may affect their ability to register for classes. Students can submit their information or request more time to complete this requirement by using the Hepatitis B Immunity Statement through the MyAdmissions website.

Are there charges for medical services?

Primary care, urgent care and specialty medical services (including psychiatry) have a small fee. Counseling services, advice nurse services and most health promotion resources are free. In general, a primary care visit costs $15 and both urgent care and speciality care visits cost $20, with additional fees for treatment supplies and medications as needed. All SHCS charges are billed directly to your student account each month. The amount can be viewed and paid using MyBill; however, detailed information about your visit is not viewable through MyBill. Detailed information can be found by logging into Health-e-Messaging, which is a secure system accessible only through your student login. More information about services, costs and billing is available on the SHCS website.

Student Health Insurance

What is the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) and how do I enroll?

The University of California (UC) requires that all students have health insurance. To ensure this requirement is met, all UC students are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP and fees for coverage are charged to your student account each term. UC SHIP includes medical, dental and vision benefits. Students with comparable health insurance can apply for a UC SHIP waiver. More information is available at http://shcs.ucdavis.edu/insurance.

I already have a comparable health insurance plan. How do I waive out of UC SHIP?

Students may apply for a student health insurance waiver at the SHCS website or may visit the SHCS Insurance Office at the Student Health and Wellness Center.

Do I need to submit a student health insurance waiver application each quarter?

No, student health insurance must be waived at the beginning of each academic year; however, an approved waiver is good for the duration of that academic year. Students who have waived UC SHIP and later need health insurance coverage may visit the SHCS Insurance Office to enroll at any time.

Are Student Health and Counseling Services fees different if I am not enrolled in UC SHIP?

No, all students have the same level of access to SHCS medical services and pay the same rates for care regardless of insurance coverage or carrier. However, when SHCS provides Affordable Care Act approved prevention and wellness services (immunizations, screening, contraception) to UC SHIP enrollees, UC SHIP covers SHCS fees. Most important, UC SHIP covers healthcare services not available at SHCS and only available off campus; e.g., emergency room visits, surgical care, MRIs, subspecialist care. More information is available on the SHCS website.

Page content manager can be reached at Catalog-Comment@ucdavis.edu.

Updated: November 21, 2017 12:17 PM