Financial Aid

Financial Aid & Scholarships provides financial assistance in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and Work-Study employment. To apply, undergraduates and graduate students are required to annually file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the California Dream Act Application (CADAA).

UC Education Finance Policy for Undergraduates | Graduate Student Funding

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require that undergraduate and graduate student financial aid recipients meet the published Standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid concerning GPA, Pace of Progression, and Maximum Timeframe of attempted units allowed to obtain a degree; see Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Financial Aid Types


A grant is an award that does not have to be repaid as long as the student remains eligible. Whenever criteria and funding levels permit, a student's financial aid award includes grants; see Available Grant Awards.


Financial aid often includes a long-term loan; see Undergraduate Student Loans or Graduate Student Loans.


Work-Study for Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate Work-Study allows students to earn part of their financial aid through part-time employment; see Work-Study for Undergraduate Students.

Community Service Work-Study offers a wide variety of community service jobs available for students who apply for Work-Study funding; see Work-Study for Undergraduate Students.

Work-Study for Graduate Students

Work-Study funds for graduate students are allocated directly to the chairpersons of the graduate programs; see Work-Study for Graduate Student Researchers.


With their UC admissions application, first-year students are automatically considered for campus scholarships. Continuing students are encouraged to apply every academic year for consideration. Students may also apply for Outside and Prestigious Scholarships; see Undergraduate & Prestigious Scholarships