Agricultural & Environmental Sciences College of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences

Degree Requirements

A preliminary degree check can be used to help track your progress. You can also utilize the MyDegree advising tool to review requirements. It is the responsibility of the undergraduate scholar to ensure all requirements are fulfilled.

College Units & Limitations

  • A minimum of 180 quarter units is required for the degree. At least 54 of the 180 units must be in upper division or graduate courses except that a maximum of 9 units in graduate level courses (200 series) and professional courses (300 and 400 series) will be accepted toward the 54 upper division requirement.
  • No more than 6 units of Physical Education 001 and/or 006 and no more than 20 units of Internship 092 and 192 and courses numbered 099, 190C, 197T, and 199 may be counted toward the total of 180 units for the degree.
  • A maximum of 12 units of Internship 092 and 192 is permitted. Credit will not be given for 192, 199 numbered courses prior to completion of 84 units.
  • The Academic Senate limits the total number of courses grades P, including units earned in courses graded “P/NP only” to one third of the units completed on the UC Davis campus. The P/NP option should not be used for major requirements.
  • Students may apply credit for courses taken in the Open Campus Program through UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education (formerly known as UC Davis Extension) towards the 180-unit undergraduate degree requirement. The grade points earned when enrolled in Open Campus courses will count toward the calculation of a student's UC GPA upon his/her admission or readmission to regular student status at UC Davis. Students registered at UC Davis may not enroll in Open Campus courses.
  • University of California Extension courses can be used to satisfy graduation requirements only with approval of the dean, as long as the units are deemed as transferable units by the Undergraduate Admissions office. Only grade points from University of California, Davis Extension courses, not Extension courses from other campuses, will be counted toward the student's overall UC grade point average.
  • Undergraduate students may not exceed 225 units; registration for enrollment when the limit has been reached may only be approved by the dean by petition.

College Residence

  • 35 of the final 45 units must be taken while an undergraduate scholar is in the college. University of California Extension courses can be used to satisfy graduation requirements only with approval of the dean. Only grade points from University of California, Davis extension courses will count toward the student's overall UC grade point average.
  • Education Abroad Courses are not considered in residence. Please speak to the Dean's Office if you are planning to study abroad.

College Scholarship

  • The minimum grade point average (GPA) to satisfy the scholarship requirement is 2.000 for all courses counted toward the major and for all upper division courses used to satisfy major requirements.
  • Only grades earned in courses taken at UC Davis will be included in the grade point computations.
  • Cumulative grade point average (GPA) is a minimum of 2.000; major grade point average (GPA) is also a minimum of 2.000—both are required in order to be eligible for graduation.
  • Major grade point average (GPA) calculation varies per program of study. Questions regarding major GPA should be directed to the department advisor.
  • To obtain these minimum averages in the major, you may repeat courses that are graded D or F. If you have to repeat a course more than once, scholars must obtain approval from the Dean's Office prior to enrolling.

English Composition

This requirement may be met in one of three ways:

(1) Either two courses emphasizing written expression or one course emphasizing written expression and one course emphasizing oral expression, with a grade of C- (or P) or better. The following UC Davis courses satisfy this requirement:

   (a) One course must be selected from English (ENL) 003; University Writing Program (UWP) 001, 048, 049, 101, 102 series, or 104 series (courses with primary emphasis in writing skills), and;
   (b) One course selected from the courses not selected above, or from Communication (CMN) 001; Comparative Literature (COM) 001, 002, 003, 004, or Native American Studies (NAS) 005 (courses emphasizing either writing or speaking skills.)

(2) Advanced Placement English score of 4 of 5 PLUS any course listed in 1(a) or 1(b) above EXCEPT University Writing Program (UWP) 001 or English (ENL) 003.       

(3)  By successfully passing the English Composition Examination administered by the College of Letters & Science upon completion of 70 units of degree credit (the examination does not yield credit).

For specific examination dates, instructions, and to sign up to take an examination, see the University Writing Program-Upper Division Composition Exam Information. It is recommended that students with disabilities contact the Student Disability Center at 530-752-3184 and the Entry Level Writing Program Office 530-752-0450 at least two weeks prior to the exam date to arrange accommodations.

Degree Requirement Changes; Catalog Rights

Students may choose to fulfill the university, college, and major requirements as stated in any UC Davis General Catalog in effect at any time they were enrolled at UC Davis. Transfer students may choose a UC Davis catalog in effect either during the three years immediately preceding their transfer to Davis or at the time they first enrolled at that prior institution, whichever is most recent. Students will use the catalog year chosen to satisfy university, college, and major requirements specified in that catalog.

Related: Declaring a Major | Change of Major | Multiple Majors | Cross-College Majors | Individual Major | Minors